One of the most popular pages of this blog is the "Character Names" page that helps player pick the right AdventureQuest Worlds name. I'm going to extend that to SuperHero Quest (?).
The same basic rules apply to both AQW and SHQ:
Good names are memorable and can be spelled correctly. They allow you to form friendships in the game because people remember you and talk to you even if you're not on their friend's list. Good names also tell people a little about yourself or, even better, your character.
Bad names are not memorable. That's because people can't spell them, like "3vil K1LL3r." Using l33t, strange character combinations, and really long names work against you. Avoid using numbers. If you are spelling a word, avoid alternative spellings, like "Cowboiz" for Cowboy. People won't be able to remember you.
Also, do not to use offensive or suggestive language. You will alienate many people. At the very least, you will be silently ignored by a large number of people.
In picking a name, remember shorter is better. Easier to remember, right?
Don't Forget the Title
Since there can only be one of a kind names in an MMO like SuperHero Quest, odds are the name you want is gone. So give yourself a title and see if you like it. Titles can be:
- Colonel, Major, Sergent, Captain, etc
- A color: blue, red, silver, black, green.
- Amazing, etc.
Rules For Choosing A Superhero Name
I found this on the Interwebs without a citation or attribution. It's not my list but it has great advice.
- Don't call yourself by your real name: e.g., The Incredible Jenny Pinchuck, The Amazing Stevie Foster.
- Don't call yourself by someone else's real name: e.g., Super Teddy Kennedy, Captain Dean Martin.
- Choose a name that suggests power, heroism and prowess: e.g., Captain Power, Thunderman, Mr. Invincible, Justiceman.
- Don't be too modest: e.g., Mr. Pretty Good, Captain So-so, Fairly Incredibleman, Captian Invincible on a good day.
- But don't labor the point: e.g., Mr. So-Powerful- Don't-Even-Think- About-It-Buddy.
- Don't choose a name detrimental to your crime fighting image: e.g.,Captain Spongecake, Mr. Silly, Yellow Streak, Purple Slippers, Captain Sweetiepie.
- Don't choose the name of an existing Superhero unless you have lots of money and enjoy fighting litigation instead of supervillains.
- It's no use calling yourself Captain Invincible if your only power is control over Hostess Twinkies and you suffer from a congenital hole-in- the-heart condition. It's just asking for trouble.
- Don't call yourself the Invisible Boy if you're not.
- Don't call yourself the Invisible Boy if you're a girl.
- Don't give away important information in your name, e.g. The Glass Jaw, Captain Vulnerable To Strontium 90.
- Don't call yourself The Green Avenger if you wear an orange costume. You'll confuse people.
A name generator can help you come up with some great ideas for hero names. Seventh Sanctum has a several different Superhero name generators for you to play with. Have fun!